National promotional banks and institutions
National promotional banks and institutions (NPBIs) are legal entities carrying out financial, development and promotional activities on a professional basis which are given a mandate by a Member State at central, regional or local level.
National promotional banks act as financial intermediaries for EIB Group investments directed to small-scale projects. They channel our loans to businesses and local authorities in their home countries and collaborate with the European Investment Fund (EIF) in the implementation of its guarantee or equity mandates.
The roll-out of the Investment Plan for Europe has further enhanced the cooperation between promotional banks and the EIB Group. Out of all transactions approved under EFSI in its first two years, more than 25% are expected to involve cooperation with national promotional banks.
How do we cooperate?
As the EU bank, we rely on national promotional banks across the European Union in a number of areas. Considering their knowledge and access to local markets, promotional banks are crucial for achieving maximum reach and economic impact, especially in supporting small businesses.
Promotional banks also act as co-financiers or co-investors, either for individual schemes, investment platforms or investment vehicles. They make sure important projects that face difficulties in getting financing come to life.
The EIB works together with national promotional banks on various international forums and through different organisations.
The most recent and main forum for information exchange and experience sharing is the NPB Task Force. Created by the EIB in 2014, it has mainly been used to support the Investment Plan for Europe.
The EIB also works together with national promotional banks via numerous European or international clubs and associations:
- as a founding member of the Long Term Investors Club
- as a permanent observer of the European Association of Long-Term Investors
On request, we also cooperate with the following:
- European Association of Public Banks
- Network of European Financial Institutions for SME
- European Guarantee Institutions Association
Moreover, the EIB is in regular conversation with the largest European promotional banks discussing major political and economic challenges. These topics include climate finance, migration or regulatory issues.
The EIB is also involved in institutional dialogue with national promotional banks on bilateral basis, providing more in-depth exchanges of experiences on particular topics, including secondments of staff.
Relevant links and publications
- Regulation (EU) 2015/1017 on the European Fund for Strategic Investments, the European Investment Advisory Hub and the European Investment Project Portal
- EC Communication Working together for jobs and growth: The role of National Promotional Banks (NPBs) in supporting the Investment Plan for Europe
- Study of the EP Directorate-General on Internal Policies New Financial Instruments and the role of National Promotional Banks.