In North Macedonia, we have supported the country’s sustainable growth, through investments in vital infrastructure and close cooperation with local partners. Our support has aided the green transition of the local economy, led to regional economic and climate resilience and improved living conditions in the country.
In North Macedonia, we have focused on:
Through framework loans and technical assistance, we are supporting the construction and renovation of water supply, wastewater and flood protection infrastructure across North Macedonia. Such investments have substantial potential to fight climate change and positively impact locals by:
- Improving access to drinking water and sanitation services for people across the country.
- Bolstering climate change adaptation by using fewer natural resources and energy consumption.
- Cutting greenhouse gas emission through better treatment of wastewater and the digestion of sludge.
- Protecting public health by combatting diarrheal diseases and tackling pollution by ending the discharge of untreated sewage into water bodies.
Together with the EU Delegation and through fruitful cooperation with the Development Bank of North Macedonia and commercial banks, we are helping local companies grow and transform their business towards a climate-neutral, inclusive and sustainable model. Through our support we aim to:
- Create new investment and employment opportunities, while accelerating the green transition and decarbonisation of local businesses.
- Build a conducive environment for green finance through our advisory work, particularly regarding climate-risk management in the financial sector.
- Help the country’s banking sector to build green finance capacity and small and medium enterprises (SMEs) to identify and develop green projects.
- Enable small businesses to expand their businesses even in times of crisis, contributing to climate resilience in North Macedonia.
- Contribute to private sector growth and competitiveness of local companies.
- Address the liquidity and investment needs of local businesses and finance energy and green transition projects.
- Provide training and advisory support for promoting and developing bankable projects in areas such as energy efficiency and renewable energy.
We have contributed towards the modernising of North Macedonia’s main transport network leading to improved traffic circulation around Skopje. By building two motorway stretches in the Northwest and Southeast part of the country, we have facilitated international traffic and fostered exports.
Under the Global Gateway initiative, we aim to finance the construction of the Eastern Section of the Corridor VIII railway, linking the city of Kriva Palanka to the Bulgarian border.
To further boost the country’s connectivity, we are supporting the construction of a more secure and diversified energy network and contributing to the energy transition and digitalisation in North Macedonia.
At a glance
€ 1.65 bn
EIB activity in North Macedonia by sector
EIB stories in North Macedonia
The EIB is proud to be the lead financier in the Western Balkans Investment Framework - an ambitious European Commission led initiative that combines financing from International Financial Institutions with EU grants accelerating much needed investments in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo*, Montenegro, North Macedonia and Serbia.
*This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo Declaration of Independence.
Vice-President Andrew Mcdowell, in a joint visit with European Council President Charles Michel, inspected a wastewater treatment plant, supported by the EIB. The plant is expected to improve water quality in the Vardar river, potentially improving access to cleaner water to 550 000 people in Skopje.
On the occasion of this visit, Vice-President re-confirmed the EIB's support to the Republic of North Macedonia and the pursuit to meet its environmental goals.
Read more about our operations in the Republic of North Macedonia
Get EIB support in North Macedonia
We can provide you with various types of financing to implement projects that promote growth and jobs in your country. We support small businesses, while enhancing climate action and innovation. We also focus on energy transition and urban sustainability. Get an overview here of the full EIB Group product range*
* These products refer to EIB activity worldwide and may not apply to EIB operations in this region.
Loans below €25m
Loans over €25m
Get various types of advisory and technical assistance
Local authority or large corporate
Contact our local office