We develop and share knowledge on the circular economy transition. We raise awareness by:
- improving the framework conditions for financing (e.g. through involvement in multi-stakeholder circular economy fora),
- facilitating knowledge sharing and capacity building (e.g. in conferences),
- preparing studies to identify market barriers and funding gaps,
- preparing circular economy guidance material and documents.
We help circular businesses mitigate risks and improve the investment readiness of their projects. Here’s how:
- support in circular economy project pipeline development,
- review circular projects, identification of gaps/weaknesses, advise on improvements,
- advise on financing options within and outside the EIB Group,
- facilitate contacts to relevant market actors.
The above services are provided via InnovFin advisory and European Investment Advisory Hub.
Through "risk sharing", we provide finance to circular economy projects/promoters with a typically higher risk profile.
We apply our financing expertise by:
- leveraging horizontal (market) studies to further define funding gaps,
- recommending internal EIB-managed instruments and/or Investment Platforms (IP), where necessary,
- structuring/implementing Investment Platforms that mobilise public/private investors.
Find more information on our financing products.
Circular design and production
Strategies: reduce, recycle
Smart design and production that reduce waste and recycle materials at the beginning of a product's lifecycle are essential to ensure circularity.
Circular use and life extension
Strategies: reuse, repair, repurpose, refurbish, remanufacture
Business models that increase the value and use of a product during an extended life are essential to shift to a circular economy. Over time, extending product life through proper care and repair reduces the need for people to buy more.
Circular value recovery
Strategies: recycle, recover
Value recovery models aim to maximise recovery and recycling of a product after its end-of-life stage. The value recovery models reduce waste and conserve resources.
Strategies: reduce, recycle, reuse, repair, repurpose, refurbish, remanufacture, recover
Support and facilitation of all circular strategies in all lifecycle phases.
Discover how our work paves the way to a circular transition