The EIB President, Werner Hoyer, and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Administrator, Achim Steiner, will have a conversation on the big themes and solutions identified in the recently launched Human Development Report 2020.
For the first time in a relationship spanning 300,000 years, instead of the planet shaping humans, humans are shaping the planet. This is the Anthropocene: the age of humans.
While the devastating effects of COVID-19 have taken the world’s attention, other layered crises, from climate change to rising inequalities, continue to take their toll. The challenges of planetary and societal imbalance are intertwined: they interact in a vicious circle, each making the other worse.
At such an unprecedented moment, what is next for human development?
How do we find a new development path?
A human development path that tackles inequality and empowers people so that people and planet can prosper together?
How can development institutions contribute to this inclusive and just transition?
These are the questions at the heart of the 30th anniversary edition of the Human Development Report (HDR),“The Next Frontier: Human Development and the Anthropocene” , that UNDP and EIB speakers will discuss and reflect on.
Join us for a dialogue on how people and planet can prosper together.
Introductory and closing remarks
- Maria Shaw-Barragan, Director, Global Partners Dept., Operations Directorate, EIB
- Mirjana Spoljaric Egger, Assistant Administrator; Director, Regional Bureau for Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States, UNDP
- Pedro Conceição, Director of the Human Development Report Office, UNDP
- Eva Mayerhofer, Lead Environmental & Biodiversity Specialist, Projects Directorate, EIB
- Moa Westman, Gender Specialist, Projects Directorate, EIB
Q&A with the audience
Event moderated by Shirin Wheeler, Principal Media Advisor, EIB; former BBC journalist