Review of the European PPP Market in 2011
- 84 transactions reached financial close in 2011 on the European PPP market for an aggregate value of almost EUR 18 billion;
- In value terms the market in 2011 was in line with that of 2010, but it shrank significantly in terms of transaction number;
- Much of the market value is attributable to a small number of very large transport transactions;
- The year was marked by the prevalence of the French market (in value terms) and a sharp increase in the average transaction size;
- Despite a significant reduction in the number of transactions, the UK remains the most active PPP market in Europe;
- Bank financing for PPP projects remained constrained in 2011. Loan margins have eased only marginally and loan tenors were on average shorter than in 2010.