Following the parliamentary elections in Germany and the formation of a new coalition government (CDU/CSU/SPD), Mr Peer Steinbrück (SPD), has been appointed Minister of Finance. He thus succeeds Mr Hans Eichel as Governor of the Bank.
Mr Steinbrück was born in Hamburg on 10 January 1947. He studied Economics and Social Science at Christian-Albrechts University in Kiel (1974).
Before becoming Minister of Finance, Mr Steinbrück served as:
- Premier of the Land of North Rhine-Westphalia (2002-2005),
- Minister of Finance of North Rhine-Westphalia (2000-2002),
- Minister of Economics and SMEs, Technology and Transport of North Rhine-Westphalia (1998-2000),
- Minister of Economics, Technology and Transport of the Land of Schleswig-Holstein (1993-1998),
- State Secretary in the Ministry of Economics, Technology and Transport of Schleswig-Holstein (1992-1993),
- State Secretary in the Ministry of Nature, the Environment and Regional Development of Schleswig Holstein (1990-1992),
- Head of the office of the Premier of North Rhine-Westphalia, Johannes Rau (1986-1990).