On 12 July 2001, the EIB, the European Union's financing institution, launched an International Architects-Designers Competition to design a new building on land adjoining its headquarters on the Kirchberg Plateau, Luxembourg.
After examination of the 56 applications received, 11 multidisciplinary teams have been shortlisted to take part in this competition.
These teams will now submit a master plan for a new building to be constructed in two phases, the first involving the provision of 350 work places. The building must reflect the Bank's image as a serious and responsible institution, be constructed with high-quality materials without being ostentatious, and be functional and welcoming. The participants will pay particular attention to the environmental aspects of the future building, which must meet the highest standards in terms of blending into the site, choice of materials, energy savings and the restriction of inconvenience to the general public and the occupants of existing buildings during the construction phase.
This competition will run until the autumn, with the winner being announced during the final quarter of 2002.
List of the 11 participants
|Architect Firms||Engineering/Consultancy Firms|
|1.||Assar, Gubbini & Linster||Simon & Christiansen, Felgen & assoc.|
|2.||Arquitectonica Selari ,
|SETEC Group, Soluxtec|
|3.||Christian de Portzamparc||SETEC Bâtiment|
|4.||GMP Architekten, Jim Clemens||Schroeder & assoc, Goblet Lavandier|
|5.||Ingenhoven Overdiek||Werner Sobek Ing. HL Technic AG|
|6.||Kohn Pederson Fox Associates||Ove Arup|
|7.||Mecanoo architecten bv||Buro Happold|
|8.||Michael Hopkins & Partners||BEG, Ove Arup|
|9.||Rogers Partnership||Ove Arup|
|10.||Swanke Hayden Connell Int. Ltd,
Ballini Pitt and Partners sc
|11.||Arkitek Schmid, Hammer & Lassen||Buro Happold|
Composition of the Jury (in alphabetical order):
- Ricardo Bofill, Architect
- Francis Carpenter, Secretary General of the EIB and Member of the New Building Task Force
- Max Fordham, Specialist Environmental Engineer
- Francis Hambye, Town Planner
- Rémy Jacob, Director of the General Administration of the EIB and Director of the New Building Task Force
- Fernand Pesch, President of the Kirchberg Plateau Urban Planning and Development Fund
- Vincenzo Pontolillo, Director General of Banca d'Italia and member of the EIB's Board of Directors
- Wolfgang Roth, Vice-President of the EIB and President of the New Building Task Force
- Claude Vasconi, Architect
The jury will be chaired by Ricardo Bofill. Secretarial services for the jury will be provided by Enzo Unfer, Coordinator of the New Building Task Force.