EIB's Public Disclosure Policy Review – State of progress
- Jan 6, 2006
On 18 November 2005, the EIB completed a second round of public consultation on a review of its Public Disclosure Policy. The 20 working days consultation process, which started on 21 October, focused on a re-edited draft of the disclosure policy (Draft II) taking account of stakeholder comments from a first, 45 working days consultation process (19 May- 21 July).
During the web-based consultation process the Bank also organized two public consultation meetings in Brussels (on 22 June and 18 November).
A Review Panel at the Bank is currently considering the stakeholder contributions from the second round of consultation to see the extent to which they can be taken into account. The draft Public Disclosure Policy will be presented for approval to the EIB's Management Committee and Board of Directors, together with a Consultation Report. The report will include: an overview of the consultation process; the public comments; and the Bank's responses.
After Board approval, the new policy and the Consultation Report will be published on the EIB's website. Stakeholders who have contributed to the review process will be informed directly of the new policy and Consultation Report.
Timetable of the consultation process
|14 December 2004||First announcement on the EIB website of the policy review and public consultation process.
Targeted mailing to interested organizations and individuals.
|19 May 2005||Launch of a 45 working days public consultation process on a revised draft policy (Draft I).|
|22 June 2005||Public Consultation Workshop, Brussels.|
|19 July 2005||Announcement of an extension of the consultation process beyond the closing date of 21 July.|
|21 July 2005||Completion of the 45 working days consultation process.|
|21 October 2005||Launch of a 20 working days consultation process on a re-edited draft policy (Draft II) taking into consideration stakeholder comments from the first round of public consultation.
Public comments from the first consultation round published, for information, on the EIB website.
|18 November 2005||Public Consultation Meeting, Brussels.
Completion of the 20 working days public consultation process.
|6 January 2006||Public comments from the second round of consultation published, for information, on the EIB website.|
|March/April 2006||Expected completion of the Policy Review.|
During the second round of consultation, the EIB has received over 30 formal written contributions from stakeholders:
- Memorandum on the European Investment Bank's Public Disclosure Policy (Draft II), submitted on 13 November by Article 19 - Global Campaign for Free Expression, Canada
- Comments to the EIB Public Disclosure Policy Draft II, submitted on 14 November 2005 by CEE Bankwatch Network, Brussels
Identical or very similar comments were submitted by: Friends of the Earth (FoE), Czech Republic; CEE Bankwatch Network, Slovakia; Friends of the Earth, Italy; Friends of the Earth, France; Green Alternative, Georgia; Friends of the Earth, Croatia; Environmental Law Service, Czech Republic; Green Action, Hungary; Waste Prevention Alliance, Hungary; BUDS Foundation, Hungary; Magosfa Foundation, Hungary; Friends of the Earth Europe, Belgium; Environmental and Health Association, Hungary; CEE Bankwatch, Hungary; Urgewald, Germany; Reflex, Hungary; Environmental and Nature Conservation, Hungary; Friends of the Earth, Hungary; Federacja Zielonych GAJA, Poland; Environmental Education, Hungary; and FEER, Poland.
- List of questions on Draft II of EIB's Public Disclosure Policy, submitted on 8 November 2005 by Toby McIntosh, Managing Director Daily report for executives, The Bureau of National Affairs, USA
- Letter from Gaby Zimmer and Alain Lipietz, Members of the European Parliament, submitted on 17 November 2005
- Contribution du réseau pour la réforme des institutions financières internationales au texte provisoire de la Politique de divulgation de la Banque Européenne d'Investissement (BEI) », submitted on 17 November 2005 by « Agir ici / Réseau pour la réforme des IFI », France
- Contribution from WWF, Polish Green Network, and OTOP, Poland, submitted on 17 November 2005
- Comments by BOTH ENDS, The Netherlands, submitted on 17 November 2005
- Comments from IDASA, Republic of South Africa, submitted on 18 November 2005
- Comments from Centre for Transport and Energy, Czech Republic, submitted on 18 November 2005
- Comments from One World Trust, UK, submitted on 18 November 2005.
First round of consultation
For information about the first round of consultation, the draft policy which was subject to consultation (Draft I), the public contributions, and the consultation procedures, please consult Launch of second round of public consultation on review of EIB's Public Disclosure Policy.