On 29 September 2023, European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde, European Investment Bank President Werner Hoyer, and International Energy Agency Executive Director Fatih Birol hosted a high-level conference at the IEA's headquarters in Paris on how to ensure an orderly energy transition that supports Europe’s competitiveness and safeguards financial stability.
The conference addressed the impacts of the global energy crisis on the clean energy transition. Delegates tackled a range of issues including mobilising private sector capital to accelerate new investments and positioning Europe in a highly competitive global landscape for clean technology manufacturing. The role of the central banks and supervisory authorities in managing risk related to the transition were also high on the agenda.
High-level participants included:
- Werner Hoyer, President of the European Investment Bank
- Ambroise Fayolle, Vice-President of the European Investment Bank
- Thomas Östros, Vice-President of the European Investment Bank
- Christine Lagarde, President of the European Central Bank
- Fatih Birol, Executive Director of the International Energy Agency
Our joint background document provides more information on the topics discussed at the conference.
The conference convened with a high-level audience consisting of ministers, business leaders, central bankers and representatives from international financial institutions and academia.