The African continent carries a disproportionately high share of the global infectious disease burden. The extraordinary scientific progress made during the COVID-19 pandemic gives hope in addressing a range of life-threatening infectious diseases. The kENUP Foundation has been working with the World Health Organization (WHO), the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the European Commission, the European Investment Bank, and BioNTech on sustainable solutions to infectious disease challenges on the continent.
For a significant update on this work, the kENUP Foundation invited the public and media representatives to an event titled “Fighting Infectious Diseases – Focus on Africa,” which took place on 26 July 2021, 16:00-17:30 CEST.
- Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General WHO, and Dr Matshidiso Moeti, WHO Regional Director for Africa
- Dr John Nkengasong, Director of the Africa Centres for Disease Control
- Prof Dr Uğur Şahin and Dr Özlem Türeci, Founders BioNTech SE
- Dr Ursula von der Leyen, President European Commission
- Dr Werner Hoyer, President European Investment Bank
- Mark Suzman, CEO, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Read the press release for more information.