Review of the European PPP Market in 2013
- The European PPP market showed signs of improvements in 2013;
- 80 PPP transactions reached financial close for an aggregate value of EUR 16.3 billion;
- The UK was the most active market by both number of projects and value;
- 14 countries closed at least one PPP project, significantly more than in 2012;
- The most active sectors were transport (by value) and education (by number)
- Over 90% of the transactions closed were authority-pay PPPs;
- 2013 saw a growing role for institutional investors (e.g. insurance companies, pension funds) as providers of debt to PPPs.