The difficulties in procuring ITS for urban mobility may comprise:
- lack of a strategic context in which the purpose of the ITS system is defined;
- lack of interoperability and modularity leading to vendor lock-in;
- technical problems during implementation causing delays and higher costs;
- poorly performing systems with little means for redress;
- limitations on the reuse of ITS data for other purposes.
By providing detailed insights into ITS procurement practices and principles as well as putting forward a series of practical recommendations, this technical note may help build up the capacity of local authorities to procure ITS in a more efficient manner. It may also help local authorities to specify requests for EIB technical advisory services and to seek financial support for the implementation of appropriate invest.