The FEMIP Trust Fund
The FEMIP Trust Fund (FTF) is an "operational think tank” exploring new areas in which the facility can operate. Established in 2004, it is a multi-donor, multi-purpose and multi-sector fund whose main objective is to support private sector development in the Mediterranean partner countries. It focuses on seven priority sectors for 2011-2013 and also supports a FEMIP Internship Programme. Click here to view its rules.
Its operations are available in three ways:
- Technical assistance;
- Private sector support by acquiring private equity holdings
- “Democratic transformation support” for SMEs and initiatives that act as an economic catalyst in the region
Participation in the Trust Fund enables donors to augment the contributions from the EU budget allocated to FEMIP. As of December 2011, the donors of the Trust Fund are: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, the European Commission, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the United-Kingdom.
Latest approvals by the Assembly of Donors
- Public-Private Partnerships Agenda for Action in FEMIP – Regional, February 2012
- Capacity Building in the Tunisian Microfinance Sector (MicroMED) – Tunisia, February 2012
- Building Capacity in Mediterranean Partner Countries: The FEMIP Internship Programme (second extension) – Regional, February 2012
- Projects Identification Study under the Mediterranean Urban Projects Finance Initiative – Regional, February 2012
- Study on the Development of a Pan-Regional Second Tier Stock Market Platform – Regional, February 2012
- Evaluating Renewable Energy Manufacturing Potential in the Mediterranean Partner Countries – Regional, February 2012
- Enhancing the Impact of Private Sector Development on Democratic Transition in the Mediterranean Partner Countries – Regional, February 2012
- Technical assistance operation: Project Preparation and Implementation Study in the Framework of the “Integrated and Sustainable Community Development Programme (ISCDP) (Egypt) – September 2011
- Technical assistance operation: Reinforcing Private Equity Regulation and Institutional Expertise in Tunisia (Tunisia) - September 2011
- Technical assistance operation: Implementation of Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation Projects under the Mediterranean Climate Change Initiative (Regional) – September 2011
- “Employment impact of EIB infrastructure Investments in Mediterranean Partner Countries” – Regional, May 2012
- “Space for Med initiative” with the European Space Agency – Regional, May 2012
- “Reinforcing competitiveness for job creation in Morocco” – Morocco, May 2012
Number of TA and private equity operations (as of november 2011)
During 2011, 10 technical assistance operations were approved for a total amount of EUR 2m. No risk capital operation was approved in 2011.