A knowledge-based economy will help Europe compete and grow, as well as facing up to major challenges such as social exclusion and climate change.
Research, development & innovation
We support every path to innovation. This ranges from fundamental research through to prototyping and commercialisation, as well as process innovation. We can help fund the cost of:
- Researchers' salaries;
- Research consumables;
- Acquisition of intellectual property rights;
We help create the environment in which the knowledge economy can thrive by financing a range of programmes and infrastructure at EU and national level. Examples include:
- Public and private universities and institutes
- Incubators, science and technology parks and clusters
- Information and communication technology infrastructure, including broadband
- Promoting the adoption of innovative new technology in public and private sectors
- Technology transfer between academia and the business sector
We work to improve educational opportunities for people of all ages. Tangible and intangible investment is supported such as:
- Construction, expansion and refurbishment of buildings;
- Teaching programmes;
- Improving instruction methods;
- Student loans to enable broader access to education
- Work-place and community based teaching
- Increasing human resources in science and technology
- Knowledge networks such as the European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures and European Technology Platforms.
We also work to keep people healthy with investment support for infrastructure and equipment to the health sector.
RDI investment: The Risk Sharing Finance Facility (RSFF) enables the sharing of risks with other promoters, attracts financing partners and guarantees long-term commitment for entities of all sizes and ownerships.
Equity and guarantee instruments: available for high-growth innovative SMEs