Some dates and figures
How we have grown
Our HQ: Founded in Brussels in 1958 as the Treaty of Rome comes into force, we moved to Luxembourg in 1968. We relocated to our current site in 1980 with a major new building extension completed in 2008.
Lending: From ECU 10bn in 1988, our annual lending neared EUR 45bn in the mid-2000s before jumping to EUR 79bn in 2009 as a temporary response to the crisis. It was EUR77.5bn in 2015.
Capital: From less than ECU 30bn in the early 1990s, our capital-base rose to EUR 243bn at 1st July 2013. The capital adequacy ratio was 28.7% at the end of 2013.
Partner countries: We made our first agreements with non-Member States and non-European countries in the early 1960s. Now we work with over 150 non-EU states which receive around 10% of our funding.
Our people: From a workforce of 66 in 1958, we passed 1 000 staff members in 1999, and the total is now over 2 000. Most work in Luxembourg, but we also have external offices, in the European Union and across the regions in which we are active around the world.