We work to promote sustainable growth and job creation by supporting the following action areas:
- Small and medium sized enterprises: the creators of 80% of new jobs
- Regional development: to address economic and social imbalances between regions
- Environmental sustainability: including both climate action and investment in the urban and natural environment
- Innovation: promoting skills and innovation at every level
- Trans-European Networks: linking Europe’s infrastructure, principally in transport
- Energy: building competitive and secure supply
European Union Member States receive about 90% of our financing, but we also work with more than 150 other partner countries in support of EU external assistance policy.
Our database has a breakdown by country, region and sector for:
A short description of the procedure for approving project loans.
Last June, Belfius Bank and the EIB launched a EUR 400m joint financing programme for the implementation of smart and sustainable projects in line with a "Smart Cities" approach – a European first. Nine months later the progress has been excellent: the first loans, totalling EUR 35m for eight concrete projects in Belgium, have just been approved. Here is a brief review of three of them.