We work to promote sustainable growth and job creation by supporting the following action areas:
- Small and medium sized enterprises: the creators of 80% of new jobs
- Regional development: to address economic and social imbalances between regions
- Environmental sustainability: including both climate action and investment in the urban and natural environment
- Innovation: promoting skills and innovation at every level
- Trans-European Networks: linking Europe’s infrastructure, principally in transport
- Energy: building competitive and secure supply
European Union Member States receive about 90% of our financing, but we also work with more than 150 other partner countries in support of EU external assistance policy.
Our database has a breakdown by country, region and sector for:
Economic development, urbanisation and changes associated with our production and consumption patterns generate an increase in solid waste. In the EU, municipal waste alone accounts for 515 kg/year per capita. To help reduce this mass, over the past decade the EIB has financed around EUR 2.8 billion worth of intelligent solid waste management schemes. France and the UK are two EU countries which have success stories to tell.