ELENA – supporting investments in energy efficiency and sustainable transport
ELENA is a joint initiative by the EIB and the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 programme. ELENA provides grants for technical assistance focused on the implementation of energy efficiency, distributed renewable energy and urban transport projects and programmes.
The grant can be used to finance costs related to feasibility and market studies, programme structuring, business plans, energy audits and financial structuring, as well as to the preparation of tendering procedures, contractual arrangements and project implementation units.
The ELENA facility is led by a team of experts consisting of engineers and economists with extensive experience in the transport and energy sector. Since 2009, around EUR 95 million has been awarded to support an estimated EUR 4.5 billion of investment on the ground. You can find more information about completed and ongoing projects on our projects page.
What kind of projects does ELENA support?
Typically, ELENA supports programmes above EUR 30 million over a period of around 2-4 years, and can cover up to 90% of technical assistance/project development costs. Smaller projects can be supported when they are integrated into larger investment programmes.
The annual grant budget is currently around EUR 20 million. Projects are evaluated and grants allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. ELENA may co-finance investment programmes in the following fields:
- Energy efficiency and distributed renewable energy
- public and private buildings (including social housing), commercial and logistic properties and sites, and street and traffic lighting to support increased energy efficiency
- integration of renewable energy sources (RES) into the built environment – e.g. solar photovoltaic (PV) on roof tops, solar thermal collectors and biomass
- investments into renovating, extending or building new district heating/cooling networks, including networks based on combined heat and power (CHP), decentralised CHP systems
- local infrastructure including smart grids, information and communication technology
- infrastructure for energy efficiency, energy-efficient urban equipment and link with transport
- Urban transport and mobility
- investments to support the use and integration of innovative solutions for alternative fuels in urban mobility
- investments to introduce on a large-scale new, more energy-efficient transport and mobility measures in urban areas including passenger transport, freight transport, etc
ELENA – How it works
- You are a public or private entity pursuing an energy efficiency, renewable energy or sustainable transport project and are looking for financing to support project development
- Contact ELENA providing a brief description of your entity and the planned investment programme. This should include information about the type of investment programme(s), the approach to implementation as well as the expected investment cost and time schedule of the programme. We will also need an overview of the main needs and scope of the technical assistance requested, justification of costs and an indication of the requested amount
- The ELENA team will review the information and assess if the project or programme meets the eligibility criteria. We will actively support you during the application process. For more information see our FAQ
- If the assessment is positive, you will need to complete the application form. The European Commission will provide the final approval based on our assessment
ELENA – How to apply?
The EIB welcomes contact from potential new clients. To submit an initial proposal for funding, contact us directly by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If your project is selected for full appraisal, you will need to complete our application form. More information about ELENA and the eligibility criteria is also available in our FAQ.