Organisation and staff
- The FEMIP Department is in charge of operations in the Mediterranean partner countries and comes under the EIB’s Directorate for Operations outside the European Union and Candidate Countries.
- The FEMIP Department has 52 staff members, who work closely with the Projects, Legal Affairs, Risk Management and Finance Directorates.
- Two geographical divisions cover the Maghreb and Near East regions, and one horizontal division is responsible for private equity and microfinance operations throughout the Mediterranean partner countries.
- A division with responsibility for trust funds and policy affairs follows up horizontal issues and general institutional matters concerning the Mediterranean region. This division was bolstered in 2010 with the recruitment of two experts dedicated to the FEMIP Trust Fund.
- Local offices (Cairo, Rabat and Tunis) play an essential role in identifying new project opportunities, implementing follow-up and technical assistance operations and coordination with local public authorities, entrepreneurs, commercial banks and professional associations.
- To strengthen its support for the Union for the Mediterranean, two EIB experts were seconded to the UfM’s Secretariat in Barcelona. We also has one representative based in Marseille who coordinates the EIB’s activities within the Centre for Mediterranean Integration.