- Standard evaluations in EV are thematic evaluations. Each evaluation is based on a theme which can be:
- Based on a sector: health, railways…
- Based on a Mandate: Pre-accession Mandate…
- Based on a region (or sub-region): ACP countries…
Evaluations can also be a combination of these themes, e.g. looking at the water and sanitation sector in ACP and FEMP countries.
- In preparation for each evaluation EV carries out a portfolio review, which would cover a period of about 10 year before the date of the evaluation. This will allow:
- Sufficient time for project to be implemented
- Accuracy by looking at existing EIB strategies regarding the chosen theme.
The comprehensive review of the portfolio has the following purpose:
- To identify and elaborate on the main issues
- To analyse the policies and the strategies (EU, Member States and EIB)
- To collect all the necessary information for the next steps.
- From the portfolio a list of projects is selected for in-depth evaluation – this includes on-site visits. For individual operations, projects should have been completed for 18 months. For framework operations, a minimum of 50% of the sub-schemes should be completed.
- The output of that exercise is a synthesis report which is presented to the Board and thereafter published on the website.