EIB at the 2018 European Development Days
- Display in:
- Available in: en
- Date: 05 June 2018 - 06 June 2018
With more than 11 900 sustainable investment projects in around 162 countries, the EIB is turning good intentions into reality, including delivering on the UN’s Sustainable Development Goal 5: Gender Equality.
Let’s look at some facts
How the EIB is addressing these issues
As the EU bank, it is our duty to ensure that the projects that we finance protect all corners of our communities. Women, men, girls and boys must have the opportunity to benefit from their outcome equally and equitably. To improve the impact of its activities on women and girls, the EIB Group adopted a Strategy on Gender Equality and Women’s Economic Empowerment in 2016. This Strategy and related Action Plan will guide the Group to further contribute to the Sustainable Development Goal (SDGs) to 'achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls' by 2030.
Last year, the EIB supported EUR 23bn investments outside the EU, in projects to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals: creating good jobs and fighting poverty, supporting young people, women and rural populations, preventing disease through access to clean water, supporting green energy and building vital transport links.
The EIB outside the EU 2017 report describes how the Bank is working to deliver results on issues such as the SDGs, gender equality, climate and migration, and the financial and technical contribution we are able to provide.
- Find out more about the EU Bank's commitment to development and finance and to Gender equality and women’s economic empowerment
In the spotlight
- Investing in women as agents of change: the EIB Group at the Women Political Leaders Summit #WPLsummit
- Supporting women: EU co-finances Argentine province of Jujuy's waste management plan set to create new job opportunities for female waste collectors working at landfill sites
- Supporting gender equality on every continent: the EU Bank at European Development Days #SheisWe
About the European Development Days (2018 EDD)
Organised by the European Commission, the European Development Days (EDD) bring the development community together each year to share ideas and experiences in ways that inspire new partnerships and innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing challenges. Under the main thread of ‘Women and Girls at the Forefront of Sustainable Development: protect, empower, invest’, the 2018 EDD agenda will be framed by three major themes emerging as key priorities in today’s current context:
- Ensuring the physical and psychological integrity of Girls and Women,
- Promoting economic and social rights and empowerment of Girls and Women and
- Strengthening Girls’ and Women’s voice and participation.