Chronology of the EIB: 1958-1967
15 July 1965
Signature of a project to finance the construction of a major section of highway in the Brenner Pass, in Italy. From 1959 to 1972, over 60% of EIB lending to Member States was granted to Italy. Of this, 43% went to infrastructure projects such as the Autostrada del Sole, connecting Milan with Naples, via Rome and Florence.
Authorisation to finance projects outside the European Community. This marked the beginning of the extension of EIB’s activities around the globe to support emerging and developing economies also in Asia, Africa and Latin America. As an example, in 1965 the Bank financed the construction of a new packaging facility for bananas in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire.
30 March 1961
Launch of first EIB borrowing operation.
1 June 1959
Start of the presidency of Paride Formentini.
21 April 1959
First EIB loan. The final beneficiaries of this transaction, carried out jointly with the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, were three Italian companies: Sincat and Celene (to build a large petrochemical complex in Sicily), and Mercure (to exploit a seam of lignite in Lucania to produce electricity).
13 February 1958
Appointment of the members of the first management committee; start of Pietro Campilli’s term of office as President.
1 January 1958
Establishment of the European Investment Bank. Founded in 1958 by the Treaty of Rome, the EIB was first located in Brussels (Belgium).